- write now: WOOF Contest 11/13 Winners http://writing.annebender.com/?p=44 22:47:15, 2010-10-22
- write now: I Write Like http://writing.annebender.com/?p=358 22:46:48, 2010-10-22
- write now: April 1st – Mark Your Calendar http://writing.annebender.com/?p=243 22:46:06, 2010-10-22
- write now: W.O.O.F. Contest Results for March 19, 2010 http://writing.annebender.com/?p=227 22:45:53, 2010-10-22
- write now: Getting Down to the Business of Writing http://writing.annebender.com/?p=78 22:45:18, 2010-10-22
First, let’s clarify a few things.
- I don’t believe in “diets” as far as going on a diet, I need to lose 10 pounds by Tuesday, yo-yo-ing sorts of things.
- I do believe in establishing a healthy way of eating as a general diet.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way…
When it comes to kick start programs the diet plans are all the same. Fish, eggs, fruits, veggies, beans, lots of protein, yada yada yada. This is all well and good for the foodies of the world, but what about the picky eaters, like me? This is where these programs lose me.
Eat Healthy? Check, uh, oh, wha..?
I know I’m not the typical eater. I’m not even sure I’m the typical picky eater. My daughter is pretty picky, but she’ll eat eggs. Not me. Thus, my goal in life is to modify a diet plan that includes all the great foods I should be eating, excludes all the foods I will not eat, and allows for me to indulge from time to time. After all, we are meant to live a little.
What can I substitute for …
Just the other night I was looking for a suitable substitute for chestnuts. According to the new kick start plan I’m testing out, I’m supposed to use chestnuts. What if I can’t find any? What if I absolutely hate them? What if I have other bills to pay? I headed over to the handy dandy Cook’s Thesaurus. I found I can use hazelnuts in a pinch or even pecans. Hubs said he felt they taste more like acorns and I may have some of those in a tree out back. Hmmm.
And yet, the only substitutes for cod are more fish I won’t eat.
And, of course, sometimes I don’t mix foods together as the recipe calls.
I like beets. I like oranges. I do not like beets and oranges together.
Then again, it can be good to try new things, too.
1 cup strawberries, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon agave syrup
Toss together. Chill. Enjoy.
*Recipe courtesy of Tracy Anderson’s 30-Day Method.